Monday, March 9, 2015

Reading Diary B: Myths of Cherokee

I decided to go with Myths of Cherokee for my reading this week. It was a fantastic read from start to finish; all of the stories were filled with rich, dynamic characters. I also love seeing the personalities that they give to the animals in all of the stories.

The Crane and the Hummingbird: This was a very surprising story to say the least. It seemed like it would be a classic story of winning a lady's hand in marriage by besting the other suitor. I really liked how the hummingbird was still able to keep the race a little interesting for most of the race since he had such a fast travel speed. I thought it would have been way more lopsided from the first night of the hummingbird resting. The twist with her not marrying the crane after he won was great. I still don't quite understand why she would have agreed to setting the whole thing up if she did not plan on keeping her word.


The Owl Gets Married: This was another very interesting story to read. I honestly was curious where the owl was going to come into play during this. I never knew that owls would fish for their food before this; I always assumed they ate a vast array of bugs instead. I still am kind of unsure what the story meant by him permanently changing to his owl form where you can only see the flesh on his face. I had assumed they were feathered all over before this too. It was still a great story despite some of the confused moments that I had.




1 comment:

  1. I read the Cherokee Myths unit as well. I am currently taking Cherokee so I was curious to see if I would come across some of the stories that my professor has told us. The personalities of the animals were one of my favorite parts of this unit as well. Each animal had its own unique voice and I liked that. I also read the story “The Owl Gets Married.” It was a very interesting story and I liked it a lot but like you, I was a little confused at the end as well.

    ReplyDelete