Thursday, April 16, 2015

Extra Reading Diary: Brothers Grimm (Ashliman)

I was excited to see that there were some Brothers Grimm stories to read for this week. I have only read a few of their stories and I have unfortunately watched the blunder that was the movie. I was eager to read Brothers Grimm (Ashliman) so I could get more acquainted with these famous tales.

Little Red Cap: I wanted to read Little Red Cap since it has been such a long time since I read it, and I know I enjoyed it when I was younger. I realized after reading this now that there were a lot of elements that I did not pick-up on when I read this as a kid. Little Red Cap perfectly represents the innocent character; one of my favorite examples was when she did not even fret when she saw the Wolf. She just wanted to make a new friend. Her eagerness to get her sick grandmother the prettiest bouquet possible was another great example. I do remember that the Wolf's snoring alarming the Hunter always made me laugh as a kid. I still think that was a great way to balance the dark tone of what happened, and it served as a great transition since the story resolves after that.
Rumpelstiltskin: I chose to read Rumplestiltskin since I have actually never read the story before. I have only been told about his ability to spin things into gold and nothing else. I never knew how twisted of a character he actually was. I was beginning to wonder what she would have to wager when she ran out of jewelry to give him, but I did not see a baby coming in the demand. I was glad to see that his braggadocios ways would be his downfall. I also did not expect him to rip himself in half in the end; I am still trying to wrap my head around that sequence. 

No comments:

Post a Comment