Monday, April 20, 2015

Reading Diary A: Italian Fairy Tales

I decided to go with Italian Fairy Tales for my reading diary this week. I chose this unit since I have never knowingly read an Italian fairy tale before this week. That is really odd the more I think about it since Italy is such a culturally rich country. I am glad that I am able to amend that problem this week!

How the Devil Married Three Sisters: This was a rather interesting story to read. I always find it interesting to read about different cultural depictions of the Devil and how they make him act in stories. I found the Devil in this story to be very interesting in the way he acted with his wives. The most intriguing part was that he actually fell in love with the third wife only because she did not open the forbidden door to Hell. I also did not expect him to be so compliant with her demands of carrying the chests either; I would have assumed that he would have refused since he is such an evil character in nature.

Water and Salt: The title for this story is originally what caught my attention. I originally thought it would be a story about the creation of water and salt or something along those lines. The daughter character in this story was fascinating. I am still surprised that she was able to forgive her father after he ordered her to be executed. She has to be one of the most forgiving characters that I have read about. I think this story is a candidate for my storytelling post this week. 

(salt)

No comments:

Post a Comment