Monday, April 13, 2015

Reading Diary B: Fairy Tales I (Lang)

I really enjoyed reading the Fairy Tales I (Lang) unit this week! It was great to see some stories about characters that I have seen in movies before. I love being to read the initial stories that create the characters we all know and love now. I would definitely recommend reading this unit to anyone that I know.

The Death of the Sun Hero: I was really surprised that I have never read about the Sun Hero before this week. He seems like such a might hero that he should be more well known than he is. I loved that he went on the classic arduous quest to actually earn his title as Sun Hero. I also really enjoyed seeing that there was a sage old hermit to push the hero down the right path for his quest for the golden apple. The ending to this was drastically different than anything I was expecting. I thought for sure that he would defeat the wolves and earn his title. I never saw the failure coming. I really liked how he had forgot about the consequences when he died years later from that fatal crab attack.


The Giants and Herd-Boy: This was another story that I could not predict. I started with the assumption that this would be a tale of evil giants steeling sheep from the herd-boy. This story was not even remotely close to that. One of the weirdest concepts, in my opinion, was how the giants were able to get skinny enough to disappear into the earth through the holes they made. I also did not see them being full of gold and other riches and being hospitable to the outsider. I might have a prejudice against giants the more that I think about it. Another unpredictable aspect of this story was when he was still able to ask for the girl's hand in marriage since they had already fired him. This story was just full of surprises.

No comments:

Post a Comment