Thursday, April 9, 2015

Extra Reading Diary: Welsh Tales (Emerson)

I decided to go with Welsh Tales for my extra reading diary since it is another culture that I am not very familiar with. I also chose those specific unit since they stories are written the exact same way that they were spoken; I thought that this would help to give some more authenticity behind each story. There were a trove of great stories in this unit!

Origin of the Welsh: I thought this would be a great story to start with since it lays out where the Welsh were originally from. I do have to say that I did not think there would be a Troy reference in this set of stories. I was really fascinated by the Roh bird that was mentioned in the story. I had only ever seen a similar type of creature in some assorted video games, but I did not know that they had been talked about for that long; I had ignorantly assumed that it was more of a modern thought. One thing I found interesting from this story was how it explained their journey from Persia to Troy in pretty good detail, but the rest of their locations were briefly mentioned. It seemed like they just casually migrated until they finally reached England; I definitely did not see Crimea being one of the places that they tried to inhabit.  

Crows: I have to admit that it was really interesting to read that the Counting Crows got their name from this. I love when bands form their names from rich, old tales. I was really intrigued by the opening lines of this story; it is always fascinating to read about numbers of things and how they represent something. Crows definitely seem like one of the most ominous animals to see as a sign for something.
.Image result for crow drawing
(crow)

No comments:

Post a Comment