Thursday, April 2, 2015

Extra Reading Diary: English Fairy Tales

I decided to go with English Fairy Tales for my extra reading diary this week. I was honestly surprised that I had never read any of these before since they were English. I thought for sure that English fairy tales would be much more prevalent here, but I was mistaken. It was full of rich stories that were definitely a little more twisted than I had though; they were still great nonetheless.

The Rose Tree: This was definitely a peculiar story to read. I had no idea where it was heading for the first half of the story. It actually left me with numerous questions about the plot. Did everyone know that the stepmom actually killed the little girl? I also was wondering if the stepmom killed her for losing the candles or if it was an entirely different matter all together. Another lingering question for me is what kind of bird did she turn into since she was able to carry a millstone heavy enough to kill her stepmother. I actually kind of liked how open the story was for interpretation.Dove, Peace Dove, Animal, Bird, White, Nature, Wing

The Three Little Pigs: I really enjoyed reading this since I had never read the English version of it before. It is really intriguing to think about how the same story can be told differently depending on where you are at in the world. This version was definitely more grim than the versions I read in school. The most intriguing part to me was the constant back-and-forth that the wolf had with the last pig. I wonder now why the versions that I have read omit that part. It was great to actually see more characteristics of the wolf and the pig.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jamison, quick note about Pixabay: you cannot remote link to their images, but if you upload the image, it will work fine. Here's how to do that: Upload and Insert Image

    ReplyDelete