Monday, April 6, 2015

Reading Diary B: King Arthur

The King Arthur unit was a phenomenal read this week! It was a great change of pace from most of the stories that we have read so far; I think that can be attributed to the continuing storyline from story to story. It probably also helps that this story has been in writing for some time now. Reading the entire unit made me realize how little I actually knew very little about the Arthurian universe. 

Sir Galahad and the White Knight: I honestly chose the story because I had never heard of Sir Galahad before this. I was only vaguely familiar with Sir Lancelot and Sir Gawain before this. Sir Galahad really stood out to me because he tried to shield his identity at one point in the story. I usually think of knights being very boisterous and proud since being knighted is such a big deal. It felt like the most random of events had to transpire for Sir Galahad to receive the shield. It was really interesting how it was taken from the other knight and just bestowed upon him. I was expecting him to get into a mighty duel or some feat of strength to earn it; I was clearly mistaken. I think I honestly ended up with more questions about Sir Galahad after finishing this story than I did in the beginning. He is a definite candidate to write about for my story this week. I would love to give him a little bit more of a backstory. 

An Adventure of Sir Gawaine: I chose this story because it was kind of a peculiar one, in my opinion. It was a really interesting way to introduce Sir Gawaine like that. You would expect for the first story about a knight to be somewhat filled with action or adventure, but that was not the case with this story. He is simply told by the hermit that he will not be able to go on the quest for the Holy Graal because of the life that he has lived. I loved that he threw a bit of curveball and just listened to what the hermit said and quietly rode off. I was expecting him to plead his case and explain why the hermit was wrong and that he would in fact go on an adventure for the Holy Graal. He just quietly got on his horse and left; this makes Sir Gawaine seem so perplexing.

No comments:

Post a Comment